You know who loves sequins..this girl! Up until a few years ago, I would only don my sparkles for a holiday party and after 7pm. Upon changing my own thinking, I now love incorporating sequins in my style all year round and all day long. Wearing in the daytime hours is unexpected, totally chic and adds instant glamour to any day. I own many pieces in a multitude of colors and sizes (the large ones are called paillettes and are often a runway staple).
Blazer: Paper Crown / Shirt: Splendid / Skirt: BCBG / Timepiece: Zenith Lady Piolet / Ring: Carrera y Carrera / Necklace: Carrera y Carrera / Bracelet: J. Crew
How to incorporate sequins into the day:
- Mix prints and textures to your sequin ensemble. The secret to making it work is keeping your key pieces in the same color tones/palette. Choose a sequin or paillette that is less glittery and more of a matte finish.
- Sequins are already “dressed” so make sure you tone down the rest of your outfit with simple cotton or denim. Wear a sequin jacket or top over a rolled boyfriend jean. Try pairing a simple cotton t-shirt and denim jacket with an embellished skirt.
Shirt: Michael Stars / Sequin Jacket: custom made / Denim: Mother / Belt: Diane von Fustenberg / Timepiece: Ulysse Nardin / Clutch: Give / Necklace: vintage
- Complete your look by adding a simple accessory. Scrap the J.Crew statement rhinestone necklace and pair with a simple/ light-weight one.
- Leave your sky high heels at home. If you are trying to make your sequins look more casual wear a lower heel (kitten heel), bootie or flat. This will make your look street wear ready!
- When trying to master this very chic daytime look, now is not the time to pull out your sequins body hugging tank dress or micro mini. Grab your 9 to 5 friendly pieces such as skirts, loose tanks and a spangle embellished sweater. This will help ensure you are mastering the hip look with out looking like you are ready for a nightclub at noon.
- Still a little intimidated in adding a large key piece? Why not try a sequin bag, clutch or sparkle shoe in the afternoon.
Faux Fur: BCBG / Shirt: Splendid / Skirt: BCBG / Timepiece: X / Ring: Carrera y Carrera / Necklace: Carrera y Carrera / Bracelet: J. Crew / Sunglasses: Tom Ford
It’s my duty that I provide you with the fashion don’ts (AKA the fashion 911). While you are in the search for a new “sparkle” piece to add to your wardrobe make sure the sequin is of good quality. A poorly constructed and cheap looking sequin is just bad news and looks sloppy. Who wants to wear a piece of clothing that starts falling apart before starting the day?
As always I hope I have inspired you to look outside your comfort zone and try something new. Empowering YOU to look and feel great makes me beyond happy.